DR. MARY ANNE GUNTER, PhD, LPC, LMFT, CFTP, CATP
THANK YOU FOR BEING HERE! I AM LICENSED TO TREAT CLIENTS WHO ARE RESIDENTS OF, AND ARE INSIDE, ARKANSAS, ARIZONA, OR FLORIDA.
***** IF YOU ARE EXPERIENCING SUICIDAL THOUGHTS OR INTENT, STOP NOW AND CALL 911 OR 988. THE BETTERHELP PLATFORM IS NOT DESIGNED TO PROVIDE THIS LEVEL OF CARE. I DO NOT TREAT SUICIDALITY. IF NECESSARY, I WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP YOU FIND A RESOURCE IN YOUR AREA TO SEEK HELP.
Welcome, where a caring and client-focused approach awaits you. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist, as well as a Certified Family Trauma Professional, Certified Child & Adolescent Trauma Professional, and Certified Grief Counseling Specialist.
THIS IS MY BETTERHELP.COM PROFILE. YOUR AGREEMENT TO ALL CONDITIONS IN THIS PROFILE ARE REQUIRED TO BE MY CLIENT.
YOU ACCEPTING ME AS YOUR THERAPIST IS YOUR AGREEMENT.
- Please coordinate directly with me, rather than the online scheduling system, to make an appointment. It often does not accurately reflect my current schedule. This way I can promise you the most accurate appointment available.
- Appointments are not held open and are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
I provide trauma therapy for children and adults (EMDR, CPT, CPT-SA, and TF-CBT), and earned an Arkansas State Board specialization in trauma. I earned a designation as a Clinical Fellow by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
EMDR, CPT, AND CPT-SA are evidence-based trauma therapies for children, adolescents, and adults. TF-CBT is for children and their safe, supportive parent/caregiver. CPT-SA is a specialized version of CPT, for sexual assault trauma, including MST (military sexual assault). My EMDR training is EMDRIA-approved, and my TF-CBT and CPT trainings were by UAMS ARBEST (Arkansas Building Effective Services for Trauma). I was one of the first 50 clinicians in the entire state of AR to be trained in CPT.
I have expertise in blended families and coparenting issues, and am a trained "Smart Stepfamilies" Recognized Therapy Provider, one of only a very small handful in the entire state of AR and fewer than about 30 in the entire US.
I enjoy very much working with issues common to women, parenting counseling, and am a trained facilitator in the acclaimed "One Heart, Two Homes" coparenting course, which is accepted across the nation by many family court systems.
As a trained Grief Counseling Specialist, in working with grief and loss, I won't tell you you "should be over it by now", or that your grief or loss are silly.
I can help you as you transition through life changes, whether that is a major relationship shift, divorce, loss, grief, empty nest syndrome, career changes, to name only a few. I can help you with goal-setting, and then work with you to create a realistic plan on how to actually reach those goals. I have a passion for helping parents parent.
WHAT I DO NOT TREAT:
I respectfully choose to not treat bipolar illness, borderline personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder, addictions, autism, Asperger’s or other spectrum-related issue, eating disorders, OCD, sexual disorders, SMI (serious mental illness, such as schizophrenia), suicidal or homicidal ideation or current or previous attempts. I do not treat minors under the legal age of consent or anyone who cannot independently consent or decline consent for treatment.
On the Betterhelp platform I prefer not to treat minors, and I prefer not to treat couples.
I am a strong believer that the client usually knows themselves best - and that's why I won't patronize you or treat you like a child. I listen to you, and ask about what you want different in your life. What do you want more of? Less of? I passionately believe that you have strengths and abilities that you might not even realize. I practice unconditional regard, and I love my clients!
I am a former psychiatric nurse and nurse case manager. I've been in a blended family for 33 years. I earned both a MS and a PhD in Marriage & Family Therapy, was inducted into two national college honor societies with a 4.0 GPA in my graduate and doctoral programs, and am the recipient of the national 2020 Feldman Outstanding Research Proposal for Research in Family Policy Award by the National Council on Family Relations.
I especially value working with issues common to women. I'm a trained professional Parent Coordinator, facilitating struggling coparents in a fair, neutral, and nonjudgmental manner. Over the years I've adopted six rescue basset hounds. I'm a bookworm and adore supreme pizza and hot tea. I was a divorced single parent for several years so I understand the challenges and strengths of single parents, coparents, and blended families.
I am a certified facilitator in the "Prepare/Enrich" premarital/marital program, and I especially love premarital counseling - very much so for blended couples. I am also trained in the Gottman method, Level 2, of counseling for couples, as well as Gottman Emotion Coaching. I am an EFIT, Level 1 therapist (Emotionally-Focused Individual Therapy).
I offer Christian-based counseling, and consider it a privilege to pray for and with my clients if they choose this.
I do not reject any client based on how they live, love, believe, their background or walk of life, nor press my personal values or beliefs on to the client. All are treated equally with respect, worth, and care.
I tailor my approach to YOU. Some clients want someone to just be present, listen, and to care. I do that beautifully. Some clients want a direct and linear approach, to be held accountable, to be redirected and respectfully challenged. I do that beautifully as well. Tell me what you need in a therapist. I'm listening.
SOME DETAILS TO KNOW BEFORE WE GET STARTED:
- I am dually-licensed as a LPC and LMFT in the state of Arkansas. I have an Arkansas State Board specialization in providing telehealth counseling anywhere in the state of Arkansas.
- I am licensed in the state of Arizona as an LPC.
- I am an approved Out-Of-State Telehealth Provider for the state of Florida.
- Counseling can be by video, phone, or live chat. I do not text as this better protects your privacy.
- I often find I have a bit more scheduling flexibility for live CHAT and PHONE sessions than video sessions (such as nights, some weekends).
- Sessions are typically 45 minutes once weekly. If you prefer more than once a week, shorter or more frequent sessions, etc., let me know, and I'll do my best to respond within 24 hours M-F.
- Early morning sessions as early as 6 or 7 AM are fine with me.
- I am unable to provide crisis or emergency management, or inpatient care at anytime. This is typically beyond the level of care that BetterHelp can realistically be expected to provide virtually. If you have an emergency, please call 911, or 988, or go to the ER.
- Again, I DO NOT TREAT SUICIDALITY. Please go to the ER, call 911 or 988 as Betterhelp is not designed to provide this level of care.
- It is only fair to inform you of this right up front, so that you have plenty of opportunity to find a different therapist if anything in the following is likely or is your goal:
I DO NOT:
Write letters. Fill out forms. Write ESA letters. Fight the VA, Social Security, Workmen's Comp, Disability, your employer, your ex, attorneys, or any other organization or person for you.
I do not get involved in custody or other legal issues, nor conduct custody evaluations. I do not go to court. So if this a possibility or is your goal, I respectfully ask you to please find another therapist now.
- If I am subpoenae'd or expected in any manner to have ANY COMMUNICATION WHATSOEVER, including but not limited to a phone call, email, letter, etc. with an attorney, court, physician, other providers, etc...., my professional hourly and/or per diem (per day) fees are charged separately, and are allowed by law to be charged.
- These separate fees may be required to be paid in advance. I charge for ALL WORK, ALL EXPENSES, ALL TRAVEL, ALL TIME, dedicated to the case. If I am required by a court to testify, produce documents, communicate, etc., this can mean that information about your therapy may be mandated to be given to a court of law, including what might be sensitive information you might not have expected to ever be divulged, which may then become public record and outside the therapist's control. You will still be legally liable for the separate professional fees whether or not you are still my client, and/or whether or not you are still enrolled with BetterHelp.
- BetterHelp does not file insurance, so there is no DSM-V diagnosis code provided. I do not participate in any managed care program, provide updates to EAP, managed care, insurance, etc. Betterhelp is a strictly independent self-pay site.
- For my license and ethical requirements, and for the protection of your privacy,
I REQUIRE BEFORE WE BEGIN OUR FIRST SESSION:
Your photo ID, and your physical address location. I must be able to know who I am working with. Any physician's office or hospital requires the same so I am not asking for anything unreasonable or intrusive. Also, my telehealth training, and specialization, require that I be able to know where my client is in an emergency. Don't worry; your HIPAA privacy rights are still fully protected on the BetterHelp.com website. If the client refuses this, it impedes my own professional licensure as I may not be fully able to adhere to the law in terms of mandated reporting, or duty to warn, or help you in an emergency.
- Simply put, I will not agree to treat anyone if I don't know who, or where, they are. The client has the right to decline to accept me as their therapist, and the therapist has the right to decline to accept as a client anyone who will not provide this accurate information.
- You to verify when we meet that you are in Arkansas as an Arkansas resident, or in Florida as a Florida resident, or in Arizona as an Arizona resident. You must be a resident of AR, AZ, or FL and be in that respective state, for me to be allowed to treat you at that time. If you're not inside Arkansas, Arizona, or Florida (even for temporary travel, such as vacation), I am prohibited from treating you during that time. I realize that can be annoying, but it's the law.
- Any recording at anytime is strictly prohibited. This includes but not limited to phone, Smart device, recorder, computer, camera, etc. I do not give permission to be recorded in any manner, and to do so then violates our mutual trust and the quality of our therapy together and our therapy will be immediately terminated. Unauthorized recording, photography, etc. may violate federal intellectual property, copyright, or trademark law and be prosecuted. Any materials used in our therapy provided by me may not be used for any other purpose outside our therapy, and may be protected by federal copyright and intellectual property law.
- Your time, and my time, are valuable. I customarily wait 5 minutes live online for the client to arrive ready to begin our telehealth session. After 5 minutes, I have the discretion to continue the session when the client does appear, disconnect, or reschedule for another time. If a session begins late, it will still end at the regular time. If there are more than 1-2 no-shows, therapy may be terminated.
- I take no-shows seriously. When a client no-shows or abruptly cancels, it means I don't earn a salary, even if I have already done work for your therapy. No-shows are a serious disruption of critical resources such as valuable and expensive time, the therapist's advance preparation, and space reserved that now cannot be used for any other client. The client can easily message me 24/7 on the BetterHelp platform if they find they can't keep an appointment.
- The client has 24/7 access to their own appointment schedule on the BetterHelp platform, so I do not send reminders of upcoming appointments.
- If a client isn't responding to my messages, making, or keeping appointments, then I will not pursue the client. When a client is assigned to me, I typically make two efforts to make contact with the client, introduce myself, schedule an appointment and begin therapy. If there is no response from the client after the second attempt, I will not pursue further and it is the client's responsibility to contact me if they want to begin/resume therapy.
- Appointments cannot be held open if I don't hear from the client. Appointments are filled on a first-come, first-serve basis, and tend to get filled quickly.
- I get it. Life happens. If you need to reschedule, no problem. Just let me know with at least 24 hours advance notice so that another client can have that space.
- I practice narrative therapy, and I frequently suggest reading and writing materials during and between sessions, such as articles, worksheets, books, or workbooks that can be helpful to you.
- You will need high speed internet. Neither of us have control over internet issues. At times inclement weather; i.e. snow, storms, or slow internet, can freeze or disconnect sessions. This may affect the quality of our session together so we may need to schedule for another time. You will not be penalized for this. Let's reschedule and make sure you get to have your full session you have paid for.
- Please be punctual and prepared for our important therapeutic time together. Sessions are not extended for the client to take phone calls, text, etc. Please - no texting, eating, or phone calls during sessions, just as I will show you respect by not doing the same.
- I will not conduct sessions while the client is driving a vehicle, putting on makeup, is undressed, or in the bathroom or generally engaged in other activities that distract from our work together and lend an unprofessional climate to the work.
- Please take this seriously and give it the respect it deserves. Enrolling in an online remote therapy subscription does not make therapy any less valid or serious. This is as important as when you are sitting in your physician's examination room. This is not a "dial-in" service or recreational visit, and not coaching, but licensed, clinical therapy. Please do any homework that is assigned, be punctual.
- I've had people try to do telesessions while running on playgrounds, hurtling down the interstate, crunching chips, slurping drinks, glued to their video games and angrily grunting when I "disturb" them to ask a therapeutic question, incessantly moving the laptop around, focusing the camera at the ceiling or floor (I need to see your wonderful face), yelling, throwing things, using the bathroom, or sitting in a loud restaurant. I've also had people demand that, since they pay a monthly fee, this somehow entitles them to access to the therapist on-demand 7 days a week, nights, holidays, any hour on weekends (it does not) and they should have the right to abruptly cancel or flat out miss any appointment they want. Examples like these are disrespectful to, and will curtail, your therapeutic progress, and are disrespectful and disruptive to me as therapist, and I will end the session and possibly our therapeutic relationship itself if this type of environment occurs. The client is free to choose from a selection of therapists on BetterHelp, and the therapist is free to decline to treat if conditions are not met.
- It is not the therapist's responsibility to verify with the client if anyone around you during your session is okay with you to be there and possibly overhear your session. This is the client's responsibility. The client allowing someone within hearing or seeing distance to their telesession is not a HIPAA violation on the therapist's part. It is the client's responsibility to maintain the level of privacy they desire for their telehealth sessions.
Your therapy on the BetterHelp.com platform is HIPAA-compliant and private. However, there are limits to HIPAA protection, which may include if the therapist considers the client may be at risk of harm to self or to others, or, for example, suspected child abuse or neglect / abuse of a minor or vulnerable adult. As a licensed clinician, I am by law a mandated reporter, and to report such is not a violation of HIPAA.
I take licensure, legal and ethical responsibilities of my profession very seriously. If I cannot verify the identity of who I'm communicating with, if I don't have the assurance the client is inside their resident state of AR, AZ, or FL, then I must decline to provide services.
Thank you! I am looking forward to meeting you and working with you (and thanks so much for reading all this). I can't wait to hear what you want in your life, and I honor your courage and dedication to be the best you can be.
Let's begin! Thank you very much for having me as your therapist. I consider it an honor to work with you.
Dr. Mary Anne Gunter
Additional areas of focus: Stress, Anxiety, Intimacy-related issues, Anger management, Self esteem, Career difficulties, Coping with life changes, Coaching, Compassion fatigue, ADHD, Aging and Geriatric Issues, Attachment Issues, Blended Family Issues, Caregiver Issues and Stress, Chronic Pain Illness and Disability, Codependency, Commitment Issues, Communication Problems, Control Issues, Dependent Personality, Divorce and Separation, Emptiness, Family of Origin Issues, Family Problems, Forgiveness, Guilt and Shame, Infidelity, Isolation / Loneliness, Jealousy, Life Purpose, Midlife Crisis, Post-traumatic Stress, Self-Harm, Self-Love, Sexual Assault and Abuse, Women's Issues, Workplace Issues
Clinical approaches: Attachment-Based Therapy, Client-Centered Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Emotionally-Focused Therapy (EFT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), Gottman Method, Mindfulness Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Narrative Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy, Trauma-Focused Therapy
AZ LPC LPC-22480
AR LPC P2008070
AR LMFT M2008012
Very understanding and knowledgeable.
Written on May 02, 2023 after therapy with Mary Anne for 1 month on issues concerning depression, stress, anxiety, relationship issues, trauma and abuse, parenting issues, self esteem, coping with life changes, and adhd
Very understanding. Actively listens.
Written on Apr 12, 2023 after therapy with Mary Anne for 2 weeks on issues concerning depression, stress, anxiety, relationship issues, family conflicts, trauma and abuse, intimacy-related issues, self esteem, anger management, and compassion fatigue
Dr Gunter is the first therapist that does not allow for awkward silences. She is not your sounding board, she is going to help you get to the root of your issues. Expect to dig deep and if you’re willing to do the work you will improve. Highly recommend her.
Written on Jan 18, 2023 after therapy with Mary Anne for 6 months on issues concerning depression, relationship issues, family conflicts, trauma and abuse, grief, and coping with life changes
Very helpful and understanding!
Written on Jan 06, 2023 after therapy with Mary Anne for 3 weeks on issues concerning family conflicts
I feel like I developed a real relationship with Dr. Gunter during the very first session. She is compassionate and understanding. She is professional and seeks to really understand my needs to recommend and deliver the best treatment.
Written on Oct 23, 2022 after therapy with Mary Anne for 2 weeks on issues concerning trauma and abuse, and intimacy-related issues
She listens good. I’ve done therapy to help better aspects of my life. I am a big talker…. So I feel like she’s an outlet I can mostly vent to and not be judged. Love her!
Written on Aug 04, 2022 after therapy with Mary Anne for 4 weeks on issues concerning stress, anxiety, relationship issues, trauma and abuse, and anger management